« Back to the list of recipes
These melt-in-your-mouth meringues taste like perfectly toasted marshmallows with the subtle hint of almond extract.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat oven to 225°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl and beat with mixer until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and add granulated sugar, then powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form. Add almond extract and beat just until blended. Drop 36 mounds onto the baking sheets lined with parchment, then place one almond slice on top of each meringue. Bake at 225°F for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off and cool meringues in closed oven for 2 hours. Makes 3 dozen.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.