« Back to the list of recipes
This overnight strata is perfect for traveling to the cottage. Prepare it in advance and bring it along in the cooler for “opening weekend.”
By: Courtesy Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Photographer: Courtesy Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 1 whole wheat baguette, cubed
- 1 cup finely chopped maple-cured ham (from deli)
- 2 cups shredded Havarti, Fontina or Swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 6 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Wash asparagus. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Reserve 3 stalks for garnish. Chop remaining stalks into 1-inch pieces. Cut or tear baguette into cubes; spread in greased 9x13 glass baking dish. Evenly spread chopped asparagus, ham and shredded cheese in dish; sprinkle with green onions. In bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.