Baked Potato Stone Soup
Recipe for Baked Potato Stone Soup
Try this heart baked potato soup, perfect for a day of skiing or as part of a Northern Michigan New Year's Eve celebration.
- 6 large potatoes, baked and diced
- 7 bacon slices
- 41/2 C. chopped onion
- 1 t. salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 71/2 C. milk
- 1 t. pepper
- 3 C. chicken broth
- 1/3 C. parsley
- 11/4 C. diced green onions
- 11/4 C. shredded Colby cheese
- One egg-sized, washed stone
Assign guests to bring the baked potatoes, parsley, and bay leaf. Before guests arrive, sauté the bacon in a soup pot. When crisp remove from pot, drain (but save drippings), crumble and set aside. Sauté onion and garlic in bacon drippings. Add milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper and, just before guests arrive, set soup pot on fire. Once guests arrive, add the stone. Let the guests add the potatoes, bay leaf and parsley. Bring soup to a simmer. Garnish with the bacon, grated cheese and green onions.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.