« Back to the list of recipes
This dish is based on the Korean dish bulgogi, finely sliced marinated beef, seared just until the outside is caramelized and the inside is still succulent and tender.
By: Todd Zawistowski
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 pounds rib eye, finely sliced and trimmed of excess fat
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus.
Mix first 7 ingredients and marinate beef for 15 minutes. (Because the beef is thin, it doesn’t require a long marinating time.) Place a few overlapped slices of marinated beef on a clean surface. Put 4 asparagus spears along edge of meat closest to you and roll up snugly. Repeat with remaining meat and asparagus. Cook in hot skillet until browned, being careful not to overcook. Transfer rolls to a cutting board, slice in half on the bias and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
Wine pairing: Merlot
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.