« Back to the list of recipes
Black Cherry Ice Cream
This homemade ice cream requires no special ice-cream machine, ice, or elaborate schemes-a blessing during the busy summer months. Just whip cream, fold in cherries and freeze. We found the recipe on the Internet courtesy of a chef-mom from Wisconsin. We hope she uses cherries from across the lake!
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 2 cups ripe black cherries, pitted
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream, whipped
- fresh lemon juice
Mash cherries slightly with the sugar in a bowl. Fold in whipped cream and add just a squeeze of lemon juice—more if you like your ice cream a little less sweet. Pour the mixture into a container (we used a metal mixing bowl). Cover and freeze until firm, beating by hand after 1 1⁄2 hours. Let freeze at least 4 hours total. Serve in sugar cones.
Wine pairing: Cherry port
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.