« Back to the list of recipes
Blanched Asparagus with Three Aiolis
Empire asparagus farmer Harry Norconk loves the sweet taste of asparagus right from the earth. You can serve these garlicky dips with raw spears or asparagus that’s barely blanched in boiling water.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, raw or blanched in boiling water for one minute
- For aioli:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Whisk all ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for an hour to let flavors meld. Aioli can be prepared a day ahead. Serve with asparagus for dipping. Makes about 1 cup.
Variations: For herbed aioli, add 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or rosemary. For saffron aioli, add a drizzle of honey, a pinch of saffron and grated orange zest.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.