« Back to the list of recipes
Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions
A fine fall recipe using infused olive oil and vinegar from Lane Milligan at Fustini's, 141 E. Front St., Traverse City, 231-944-1145, fustinis.com.
By: Lane Milligan
- 1 large red onion, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons blood orange extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound Asiago Cheese (a 2-inch square piece), cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon 18-year-old balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. Caramelize onions in a pan over low heat in 2 tablespoons balsamic. Place Brussels sprouts in a pan or dish suitable for oven roasting. Drizzle blood orange extra virgin olive oil over Brussels sprouts and roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until Brussels sprouts are just done.
Toss Asiago cheese with 1 tablespoon balsamic. Mix roasted sprouts with Asiago. Top with caramelized onions and add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4 to 6.
Wine pairing: Pinot Gris
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.