« Back to the list of recipes
Butterscotch Pie recipe from Joy of Cooking
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
Traverse managing editor Elizabeth Edwards makes this pie for her kids on special occasions. We think they’re very lucky. Here is the recipe as it appears in Joy of Cooking, 1960 edition.
Combine in a double boiler over—not in— hot water:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Stir and cook these ingredients until blended. Add:
Beat until light:
Pour a little of the milk mixture over yolks. Beat well and return it to the double boiler. Stir and cook until the yolks thicken slightly. Beat custard until cool and add:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup nut meats or crushed peanut brittle, optional
- Pour the custard into the baked pie shell. Cover with whipped cream.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.