Chicken and Dumpling Stone Soup
By: Lissa Edwards
This is a hearty chicken and dumpling soup, perfect after a day of skiing or as part of a Northern Michigan New Year's Eve celebration.
- 6 boned, skinned and diced chicken breasts
- 2 T. oil
- 6 C. water
- 5 cans chicken stock or about 40 oz.
- 4 peeled diced carrots
- 3 stalks diced celery
- 1/2 C. chopped parsley
- 1/2 C. diced onion
- One large, washed stone
- 2 C. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 t. baking powder
- 3/4 C. milk
- One egg-sized, washed stone
Assign guests to bring carrots, celery and parsley. Before guests arrive, sauté chicken in oil in large soup pot. Add onion and sauté. Cover with water and chicken stock and simmer, covered for 2 hours. Mix up dumpling batter and refrigerate. Set pot on bonfire just before guests arrive. With guests gathered, drop in the stone, then ask the guests to add the celery, carrots and parsley. When broth is boiling use a small spoon and a rubber scraper to drop thumb-sized balls of dumpling dough into pot. Soup is done when dumplings rise to the top.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.