« Back to the list of recipes
Chili Garlic String Beans
Squeaky-crisp steamed beans in a spicy sauce.
By: Patty LaNoue Stearns
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh string beans, a mix of green, yellow and purple
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce (try Lee Kum Kee brand)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (preferably tamari soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Bring 5 or 6 cups of water to a boil in large saucepan. While waiting for the water to boil, trim ends off green beans. Place beans in a colander or steamer basket. Place colander over the boiling water and cover with a lid, or place steamer basket in steamer and cover. Steam beans for 2 to 4 minutes, or until crisp tender.
Meanwhile, mix together chili garlic sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss sauce with steamed beans in a bowl and serve hot or at room temperature. Serves 12. Note: purple beans will begin to green as they cook.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.