« Back to the list of recipes
Coconut Ricotta Pancakes
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (reduced fat okay, not fat free)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Butter or oil for griddle
- Pure Michigan maple syrup to accompany
Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Drain off excess liquid from ricotta (use a colander over a bowl or the sink if needed). Combine ricotta, egg yolks, milk, coconut and vanilla in a separate bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the dry ingredients to the ricotta and milk mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Fold in the egg whites. Heat a griddle over medium-high heat, and brush the surface with butter or oil. Use a 1⁄3 cup measure to pour batter onto the griddle. Cook pancakes for about 3 or 4 minutes until bubbles form on the surface, then flip, cooking until pancakes are golden brown. Serve with maple syrup. Serves 4
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.