« Back to the list of recipes
Technique for crystalized violets to adorn cupcakes or other sweets.
By: Elizabeth Edwards
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- Several dozen violets, with stems but not leaves
- 1 extra large or 2 medium-to-small egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
- Fine, unused paintbrush (optional)
Rinse violets carefully and drain on paper towel. Put the sugar in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk egg white and water together until the egg white is bubbly. Holding a violet by the stem, dip it in the egg white. Or, holding it by the stem, use the paintbrush to coat the violet with the egg white mixture, then use a spoon to sprinkle it lightly but thoroughly with sugar. Shake off excess sugar and dry the flowers on wax paper. Snip off stems with kitchen shears if you like.
*Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.