« Back to the list of recipes
French Toast with Blueberry Orange Sauce
Try this tantalizing recipe from the National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health.
By: Patty LaNoue Stearns
Photographer: Brian Confer
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
Stir the blueberries and orange juice concentrate together in a saucepan and heat gently. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
Combine the egg substitute or eggs with the milk and vanilla. Heat a large heavy skillet and coat with pan spray. Dip as many slices of bread as will fit in the pan into the egg mixture and cook until brown on one side. Turn and brown the other side. Keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the rest of the bread. Divide the French toast among 4 hot plates and spoon the sauce over them. Serves 4.
Wine pairing: Off Dry Sparkling
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.