« Back to the list of recipes
A recipe for old-fashioned gingerbread that's terrific served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or a classic lemon sauce.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg in medium bowl. In another large bowl cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar on medium speed. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Continue beating, alternately adding flour mixture with molasses and 1 cup water, beating after each addition until just mixed. Pour batter into ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan; sprinkle with 3/4 cup brown sugar. Combine 1 1/2 cups hot water and 1/3 cup melted butter in medium bowl; gently pour over top of batter. Bake for 40 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 12 servings.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.