« Back to the list of recipes
Hanna’s Shrimp and Grits
A bistro dish from the bayou, from Hanna in Traverse City.
By: Fritz Girrbach
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 5 shrimp
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon, rendered and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, sliced on the bias
- 1 ounce white wine
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons grits
- 1 tablespoon Asiago cheese
Scald heavy cream and chicken stock. Whisk in grits, moving continuously for 6–7 minutes or until creamy in texture. Add salt and pepper to taste and Asiago cheese.
Brown 1 tablespoon of butter and add garlic, shallots and bacon. Sweat through. Deglaze with white wine and lemon juice. Let simmer one minute. Add shrimp and cook 2–3 minutes. Add scallion, spinach, and salt and pepper to taste. Finish with one tablespoon of butter to create a pan sauce. Spoon over grits. Serves 1.
Wine pairing: Un-oaked Chardonnay or Dry Riesling
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.