« Back to the list of recipes
Hungarian Mushroom Bisque
Look for Hanna’s Hungarian mushroom bisque chalked on the bistro’s sidewalk sign, or stir up a pot at home; Hanna chef/owner Jim Milliman agreed to share his recipe.—E.B.T.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 gallon chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Zest of lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 carrot, grated
- Roux to thicken (see method at right)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
For roux: Heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour. Cook until you smell a toasty aroma, then cook 2 minutes more. Allow roux to cool before adding to soup to thicken.
For soup: Place first four ingredients in a large pan and bring to a simmer. After the mushrooms soften, add the next six ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. Add the carrot, then thicken with roux to desired thickness. Add the remaining ingredients. Serves 8 with leftovers.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.