« Back to the list of recipes
Julia Norconk’s Asparagus Toast
Asparagus farmer Harry Norconk’s mother, Julia, makes this comforting dish with the first green stalks of spring.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 12 ounces milk
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups fresh asparagus, cleaned and cut in 11/2-inch pieces
- 4 slices good quality bread
- 4 eggs
Hard boil eggs. Set aside. Bring 2 cups of water to boil. Cook cleaned and cut asparagus for 1 to 2 minutes until bright green. Drain immediately and set aside. In large saucepan, combine mushroom soup and milk. When soup starts to bubble, remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until melted. Add cooked asparagus. Turn heat to low and return soup to burner to keep hot for serving. Do not overcook. Place bread in toaster. While bread is toasting, peel hard-boiled eggs. When toast is done, butter and place on four plates. Spoon a large amount of creamed asparagus over toast. Slice hardboiled eggs over each serving. Sprinkle with paprika and serve. Makes 4 servings.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.