« Back to the list of recipes
Michigan Baked Oatmeal
Diane Nemitz of Ludington won first place in the breakfast category with this company-ready dessert with a delicious bread-pudding consistency at Friske Orchards' 6th annual cherry recipe contest.
By: Diane Nemitz of Ludington, Mich.
Diane Nemitz of Ludington won first place in the breakfast category with this company-ready breakfast with a delicious bread-pudding consistency at Friske Orchards' 6th annual cherry recipe contest.
For baked oatmeal:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For cherry sauce:
- 1 quart frozen tart red cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Mix all ingredients together into a greased oven proof 1 1/2 quart dish. Sprinkle additional almonds on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with cherry sauce and additional milk or cream if desired.
For cherry sauce:
Place cherries in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until juices are released. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat until sauce had thickened. Serve warm.
Serves 2 generously, 4 as part of a bigger breakfast. May be easily doubled. Increase baking time to 45 minutes and keep an eye on it.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.