« Back to the list of recipes
A fresh, green soup made with leeks and peas, perfect for a spring supper.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leek
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 5 cups shelled peas or 5 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- Squeeze of lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, finely sliced fresh chives, and thyme sprig, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced leek and celery and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Then pour the stock and water into the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Add the cream and return to a simmer. Add the peas and return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the peas are just tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the herbs and lemon juice and simmer just about 1 minute longer. Transfer soup in batches to a blender and puree, or use an immersion blender. Serve soup with sea salt to taste and garnishes. Serves 6 to 8.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.