« Back to the list of recipes
The culinary farm tour company Learn Great Foods uses this salad in their cooking classes—try it at home.
By: From Patricia Lehnhardt of Great Galena Cookery.
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound beef steak
- 8 cups baby spinach or Swiss chard
- 8 small red potatoes, cooked until tender and cut in quarters
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
In a small bowl combine the wine, thyme, garlic and mustard. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Measure out 1/2 cup and pour into a Ziploc bag.
Place the beef in the bag that contains the marinade. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for several hours, or overnight. Bring to room temperature before grilling, about 30 minutes.
Mix the potatoes with a small amount of dressing and, using large platter, arrange greens and vegetables to serve family style. Drizzle with dressing. Remove the meat from the marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat a grill to medium high. Grill the meat to desired doneness. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10–15 minutes. Slice very thinly and lay on top of the salad. Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve. Serves 4.
Wine pairing: Cabernet Franc Rosé
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.