« Back to the list of recipes
Take a little armful of zucchinis from the garden and transform them into these summery fritters.
By: Emily Betz Tyra
Photographer: Todd Zawistowski
- 3 medium zucchini, grated with the skin on
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Vegetable or extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- Plain yogurt to accompany
Sprinkle the grated zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt and let sit in a colander in the sink for about 5 minutes. Remove the excess moisture from the zucchini by squeezing the liquid out with paper towels. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; add the zucchini, flour, thyme, tarragon, dill and green onions. Mix to combine. Fold in the feta and walnuts.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2 tablespoons each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately, with plain yogurt on the side. Mix some additional herbs in the yogurt if desired. Serves 6–12.
MyNorth Food & Wine Up North Newsletter
- Impress your guests with great recipes from area chefs and restaurants.
- Be in the know when it comes to our local wine scene.
- Stretch your dining dollars with seasonal restaurant specials for every budget.
All this and more when you subscribe to our FREE monthly e-newsletter, Food & Wine Up North. Start your free subscription today.