Brew up a better cup by adhering to this advice from one of the North's coffee stars, Jody Treeter.
1. Use freshly roasted beans.
2. Use purified water.
3. Use the proper grind.
4. Drink immediately. If you make extra, transfer the coffee to a thermal container. Never leave coffee exposed to heat. “It is an absolute no-no leaving it on any type of burner,” Treeter says. Also, never microwave coffee. Once it cools, coffee changes chemical composition. “When you microwave, it’s a big chemistry experiment.”
5. Don’t freeze or refrigerate coffee beans or ground coffee. Keep it in an air-tight container in a pantry.
6. Don’t drink coffee out of paper or Styrofoam.
7. Measure 1.5 to 2 tablespoons per 8 oz cup.
8. Treeter recommends a French press, but if using a drip coffee-maker, use a gold mesh filter (best) or unbleached filters.
9. Clean your drip coffee-maker regularly. Run vinegar solution (3 parts water: 1 part vinegar) through the machine. Then flush with pure water five times to eliminate vinegar residue.
Jody Treeter is co-owner of Higher Grounds Trading Company.