Pull up in a horse-drawn wagon, rent a hickory stick and a gutta-percha ball (invented circa 1850) and play the oldest continuously run golf course in Michigan, opened in 1898. Designed by Scottish architect and two-time U.S. Open
winner Alex B. Smith, the course presents such quirks as a four-foot-high bunker that stretches completely across the center of one fairway, narrow fairways designed to magnify the effects of slicing a ball, tiny greens and the “chocolate
drops”—grass-covered mounds of rock that golf course builders couldn’t remove by horse. Come ready for battle—fitting, since the British and Americans fought on this ground in 1814. Open for public play (modern gear welcome too).