Northern Michigan Attractions: Find the Freshest Food at Your Local Farmers Market
Northern Michigan Attractions: Fun, Fresh and Fair. Support your local community by shopping at a farmers market near you this weekend!
Jun 15, 2011 Nell Gable with help from the Michigan Land Use Institute
Northern Michigan Attractions: Summer is approaching and that means there's tons of local Michigan produce ripe for the picking. Shopping at local farmers markets is a great way to break the boring supermarket routine, enjoy a fun family outing and support the local community. So, this weekend, why not forgo the checkout line and buy your fresh produce, dairy and just about any other food you can think of from your friendly neighborhood farmer. Grab a basket and some cash and go see what Michigan farmers have to offer. Then enjoy the best part of food shopping—eating!
Here's a list of farmers markets in Northern Michigan to get you started:
Antrim Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Fridays, May 13-Oct. 28.
- Located behind the senior center in Bellaire on M-88, across from the county courthouse.
- More information: 231.533.6959
Elk Rapids Area Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Fridays, June 3- Oct. 14.
- Located on US-31 on the grounds of the Elk Rapids Chamber of Commerce.
- More information: 231.264.8202.
Ellsworth Farmers Market
- 5 p.m.- 7 p.m. Tues., July 5-Sept. 27.
- Located on the Breezeway in downtown Ellsworth.
- More information: 231.588.7411 or 231.544.7189, ridethebreezeway.com.
Mancelona Farmers Market
- 3 p.m.- 7 p.m., Thursdays, May 26 through Oct.
- Located at the park at the corner of US-131 and State.
- More information: 231.585.6922
Crystal Farmers Market
- 3 p.m.-6 p.m., Fridays, beginning mid-June. Call for dates.
- Located at Crystal Mountain Resort out at Adventure Zone.
- More information: 231.378.2000, ext. 7501.
Elberta Farmers Market
- 7:30 a.m.-noon, Thursdays, May 19-Oct. 13.
- 8:30 a.m.-noon after Labor Day.
- Located in Elberta Marina Pavillion Park, M-22 and M-168.
- More information: 231.882.4573.
Frankfort Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, May-Oct. In the Green Space along the sidewalk on Main St. between 9th and 10th St.
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, Nov.-April (indoors) Frankfort Recreation Center between 9th and Main. (832 Main St.)
- More information: 231.735.4110.
Grow Benzie Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Wednesdays, mid-June thru summer.
- Located at 5885 M-115. Look for big blue building with white porch.
- For more information: 231.882.9801.
- Boyne City Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays, May 4-Oct. 29.
- Located in Veterans Park, Lake St., Boyne City. (Alternate site may be necesary during planned construction.)
- More information: 231.838.0569 or 231.582.9009.
Charlevoix Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursdays, June 2-Oct. 27.
- Located in downtown Charlevoix at East Park.
- More information: 231.547.2101.
- No market on Oct. 13 during Apple Festival.
- On July 26, the market will be at Bridge Park, during the Venetian Festival.
East Jordan Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursdays, May 12-Oct. 27
- Located in Sportsman's Park, East Jordan.
- More information: 231.536.2636.
Downtown Petoskey Farmers Market
- 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Fridays, June 17-Sept. 30.
- Located in the street on Howard St. in the block between J.C. Penney and Julienne Tomatoes.
- More information: 231.487.1188, petoskey.com
Good Hart Market Days
- Saturdays, 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., July 2, 16, 30 and Aug. 6, 20, Sept. 3, 17 and Oct. 1 and 15.
- Located at the Good Hart General Store, 1075 North Lake Shore Drive.
- For more information: 231.881.2200, goodhartstore.com
Harbor Springs Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, June 18 - Labor Day.
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesdays, June 22 thru Sept. 28.
- Located on Main Street, west of State St.
- More information: 231.330.5575, harborspringschamber.com
- Open 5 days a week from 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Located at 211 US-31 South at the old Parker Motor Freight Building, Traverse City
- For information: 231.620.9138
Farmers Market at the Village at Grand Traverse Commons
- 10 am to 2 pm Saturdays, Oct. 22-May 26 in the Mercato, at the Village.
- 2 pm - 6 pm Fridays, June 3-Oct. 14 in the tent across from Trattoria Stella.
- More information: 231.269.4139.
Interlochen Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays, May 31-Sept. 30.
- Located at Earth and Hearth (earthnhearth.com), south of Interlochen Corners on M-137.
- More information: 231-276-9105.
Northwestern Michigan Fair Farm and Flea Market
- 3 p.m.-8 p.m., Fridays, May 15-Oct. 28
- Located at 3606 Blair Townhall Rd., Traverse City
- More information: 231.645.2496
Sara Hardy Downtown Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, May 7-Oct. 29.
- 8 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, June 15-Sept. 28.
- Located in the parking lot along Grandview Parkway between Cass and Union Streets in Traverse City.
- Schedule during the National Cherry Festival, July 2-July 9, To be announced.
- More information: 231.922.2050, downtowntc.com
Springfield Recreation Area Farmers Market
- 3 p.m.-7 p.m. Thursdays, May 12-Oct. 13.
- Located five miles southeast of Fife Lake at Lund and Creighton Rds.,
- More information: 231.258.0318
Empire Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, June 18-Sept. 10.
- Located downtown on Front St near the Post Office.
- More information: 231.256.9888, leelanau.cc/farmersmarkets.asp
Glen Arbor Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesdays, June 21-Aug. 30.
- Located behind the township hall at 6394 Western Ave.
- More information at 231.256.9888, leelanau.cc/farmersmarkets.asp
Lake Leelanau Farmers Market
- 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Sundays, June 19-Sept.4.
- Located in the parking lot across from NJ's Grocery.
- For more information call 231.256.9888, leelanau.cc/farmersmarkets.asp
Leland Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-noon Thursdays, June 23-Sept. 1.
- Located in the parking lot across from The Bluebird Restaurant.
- More information at 231.256.9888, leelanau.cc/farmersmarkets.asp
Northport Farmers Market
Suttons Bay Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, May 14-Oct. 22.
- Located at the corner of Lincoln and Broadway Streets.
- More information at 231.256-9888 or leelanau.cc/farmersmarkets.asp
Manistee Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, May 14-Oct.15.
- Located in the parking lot across from Dial-A-Ride on Memorial Dr.
- More information: 231.398.3262.
Onekama Farmers Market
- 2 p.m.-6 p.m., May 27-Sept. 16
- Located on Main St. across from Onekama Hardware.
- More information: 231.889.5560.
Ben Jeffs Farmers Market
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, May 21-Sept. 3
- Located at Ben D. Jeffs Muskegon River Park at M-55 and the Muskegon, across from Jeffs Rd.
- More information: 231.394.1510
McBain Farmers Market
- 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Fridays, mid-June to mid-Oct.
- Located at the corner of Stoney Corner Rd. and M-66.
- More information: 231.825.2483.
Missaukee Farmers Market
- 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Aug. 11, 18, 25, and Sept. 1 and 8.
- Located at the downtown City Park.
- More information: 231.839.4969, lakecitymich.com
Cadillac Farmers Market
- 8 a.m.- 1 p.m. June 17, 21, 24, and 28.
- 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, July 1-Oct. 28.
- Located on Lake St. west of the DEQ bldg., north of public library.
- More information: 231.775.6310
Manton Area Farmers Market
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug.-Sept.
- Located at Railroad Park.
- More information: 231.824.3391.
Mesick Farmers Market
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Fridays
- At the BP Gas Station/Travel Center (Ellens Corner) Parking Lot on the northwest corner of M-115 and M-37 North.
- More information: 231.883.9962