- June 2011
- Traverse City Attractions: Rainy Day Adventures for the Whole Family
Traverse City Attractions: Rainy Day Adventures for the Whole Family
Traverse City Attractions: 8 ways to keep the whole family happy this summer...even if it rains in Northern Michigan.
Jun 22, 2011 Nell Gable
Traverse City Attractions: It's no secret that there are endless things to do in Northern Michigan outdoors during the summer, but the age-old question is: what do you do if it rains? Judging by the not-so-hot weather we've been experiencing in the Traverse City area so far, it's a safe bet to plan some indoor activities for the whole family and let the good times roll in Northern Michgian, rain or shine.
Here are a few ideas to get you out of the house this summer ...e ven if it rains:
- Follow the scent of the popcorn and catch a flick at the beautifully restored State Theatre on Front Street in downtown Traverse City. Kids can catch a matinee each Saturday morning for just 25 cents. 231.947.4800.
- Check out what the dead have to offer (as in scientific discovery!) at the Bodies Human Exhibit at Dennos Museum in Traverse City, open Monday through Saturday: 10am until 5pm Sunday: 1pm until 5pm Thursday: Open until 8pm, all summer long. 231.955.1055.
- Take the kids to KidzArt, in Traverse City's Warehouse District, and allow them to explore their creative side with classes for all ages, Monday through Saturday. 231.421.1222.
- While the kids are getting creative, the parents can get a taste (or two) of what some of the local artisan breweries have to offer at Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City's Warehouse District. Watch this 'Virtual Sip' video and just try to resist the urge to check this fun, lively brewery out. 231.944.1239.
- For a low-key venture, head to Horizon Book on East Front Street in downtown Traverse City and order up steaming tea from their cafe—and bring back a new novel to curl up with by the cottage fire. 231.946.7290.
- Calm your mind and tighten your core with a yoga, pilates or spinning class at Yen Yoga and Fitness on East Front Street in downtown Traverse City. The center even has child and teen classes, so the whole family can get fit this summer. 231.421.5496.
- Take a cooking class at the Great Lakes Culinary School at Northwestern Michigan College in Traverse City and impress your friends and family with newfound cupcake decorating, steak grilling, or vegetable canning skills. Click here to register. 800.748.0566.
- Not in the mood to cook? Dine at downtown Traverse City's Soul Hole, located at 408 South Union St., where you can experience upscale, Southern comfort food with out ever crossing the Mason Dixon line. Chicken and waffles? Now there's rainy day food! 231.929.7238.
Rain or shine, you don't have to look far to find an activity for the whole family to enjoy in Traverse City this summer.