Learn to Paint and Photograph Birds at Boyne Highlands
Learn how to paint and photograph birds at Bird's Eye View, a weekend of classes, nature trips and events put on by Harbor Springs’ SEE-North Science and Environment Education Center, held at Boyne Highlands Resort.
Sep 8, 2009 Emily Betz Tyra
There’s something about getting a really good look at another species that is so healthy for our own. SEE-North Science and Environment Education Center, located in Harbor Springs, is holding its inaugural Bird’s Eye View conference this month for those wanting to hone their skills painting and photographing birds.
SEE-North’s NorthWings program helps people better know the raptors, songbirds and other migratory birds indigenous to Northern Michigan. But when the nonprofit lost their state funding two years ago, they found creative ways to get new private donations. “My goal,” says executive director Cindy Blasius, “is to create smart, fresh, solid natural science programs that add value into the community.”
For SEE-North’s one-weekend bird bonanza, nature photographers and artists will converge at Boyne Highlands Resort to teach workshops on composition, techniques, sketching and painting equipment, and preparing and marketing photographs. Bird lovers can catch migratory birds en route during kayaking and biking excursions, plus there will be pure birding and elk viewing field trips.
Bill Schwab, renowned Detroit-born photographer of both urban and natural landscapes, is the keynote speaker. And NorthWings raptor specialist Alison Falldin is offering 60-minute, one-on-one portrait sessions with any of the group’s eight rehabilitated birds of prey (including a golden eagle, hawks and owls). “It’s very rare for photographers to get a chance to be with raptors for so long, up close,” says Blasius. Schedule the “sitting” inside or out on a perch in the woods.
Get your bird and nature fix September 25–27, 2009, at Boyne Highlands Resort in Harbor Springs. Register online at SEE-North, seenorth.org, or call 231-348-9700.
More fun ideas in the Harbor Springs Region
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Tour Gorgeous Harbor Springs
- Video: Drive the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Good Hart
- Video: A Musical Visit to Bay View
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you'd like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I'd like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you're interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!