The Evans/DeFer Wedding
September 26, 2009
Touches of birch bark and fall leaves set the tone at the early fall wedding reception of a Traverse City couple who loves autumn Up North. After a Saturday afternoon ceremony at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Traverse City, the wedding party and guests headed to the Great Wolf Lodge, a venue Heather says she and Matt chose for its rustic ambiance and hilltop view of Traverse City.
The bridesmaids and groomsmen—in brown silk taffeta dresses with camel sashes and burnt orange ties, respectively, harmonized with the autumnally decorated lodge ballroom. In her ivory gown, Heather was the stunning focal point. The bride’s hair was done at Vision Modern in Traverse City. Her Jasmine Couture silk taffeta gown had a ruched top and full skirt.
The couple’s rings nest in the bride’s bouquet, a medley of hypericum berries, orange ranunculus, mums and variegated leaves. Birch bark–covered vases tied with raffia were filled with bouquets of flowers in autumnal colors. Cherryland Florals and Gifts provided the flowers for the wedding. The bride’s grandmother sewed the chocolate-brown fabric squares that embellished the white table linens. Table numbers were made from chunks of birch with the numbers burned into them. Each guest received a pencil made from a rustic twig as a wedding favor.
A special cider bar, set next to the traditional bar, served up hot, cold and spiked (with Captain Morgan rum) cider, filling the room with the sweet autumn scent of apples. “It was the chef’s idea—it smelled wonderful,” Heather says. The lodge-catered buffet dinner was elegant and included prime rib, Parmesanen-crusted chicken, roasted vegetables, fingerling potatoes and Caprese skewers. Smoked cheddar macaroni and cheese was a hit with the younger guests.
The three-tiered wedding cake by Kingsley Cakes was decorated to look like birch bark. The faux fall leaves, pinecones and acorns play out the wedding’s fall theme. The bride’s father made the bark-covered cake stand.
The bride and groom entered the reception to the Blues Brothers theme song—the sunglasses were only fitting. Dancing was to music provided by BDJ’s DJ’s. Guests mingled easily at the reception because many of them—both from out of town and Traverse City—had checked into the Great Wolf Lodge on Friday evening, then spent Saturday playing in the waterpark together. The adults headed for the hot tub, the children hit the slide, and everyone loved the Lazy River, Heather says. Other guests toured the wineries of Old Mission Peninsula before the wedding.
After dancing until the early hours of the morning, the DeFers retired to their room in the lodge to find that their friend had spread rose petals over the bed and floated candles in the Jacuzzi.
Click Here to download the full version PDF of this article.
Get Your Copy of MyNorth Wedding 2010
See the complete feature of this Great Wolf Lodge wedding in MyNorth Wedding 2010, a gorgeous Northern Michigan wedding magazine pairing beautiful photography with the real nuts and bolts information every bride and groom wants to know about available Northern Michigan venues and suppliers. Buy MyNorth Wedding 2010 now. And get more ideas by buying MyNorth Wedding 2009 as well.
More Wonderful Wedding Ideas and Stories
- Bookmark the MyNorth Weddings Resource Directory for wedding suppliers and venues in Northern Michigan.
- From Quirky to Elegant: Ideas for Your Northern Michigan Wedding
- A Northern Michigan Wedding at The Homestead Overlooking Lake Michigan
- A Pavilion Northern Michigan Wedding at Grand Traverse Resort and Spa
- Northern Michigan Wedding Amongst the Gardens at Frog Pond Village
- Wildflowers Galore at this Northern Michigan Wedding at Shanty Creek Resort
Find MyNorth Wedding at these Michigan Bridal Shows
MyNorth Wedding is looking forward to a season of bridal shows and wedding expos where you’ll also find our latest issue ofMyNorth Wedding. We’re delighted to be collaborating with producers or exhibitors at these Bridal and Wedding Shows:
- Brides-to-Be, Fairlane Hyatt : 1/2/10
- Bridal World, Lansing: 1/9/10
- Brides-to-Be, Fern Hill CC, Clinton Twp: 1/9/10
- Downtown TC Bridal Show: 1/9/10
- Bridal Celebrations at the Palace at Auburn Hills: 1/17/10
- Big Rapids Bridal Show: 1/17/10
- Winter Bridal Show of WM, Grand Rapids: 1/22-1/23/2010
- Brides-to-Be, Ann Arbor: 1/23/10
- Cadillac Bridal Show: 1/23/10
- Brides-to-Be, St Clair Shores: 1/30/10
- GT Resort Bridal Show: 1/30/10
- TC Bridal Extravaganza: 2/7/10
- Brides-to-Be, Shelby Twp: 2/20/10
- Brides-to-Be, Novi Sheraton: 2/27/10
- Brides-to-Be, Troy: 3/6/10
- Brides-to-Be, Birmingham: 3/20/06
- Brides-to-Be, Clinton Twp: 4/17/06
Join the Northern Michigan Wedding Conversation
Would you like to connect with other couples getting married Up North or get advice from others who’ve already gotten married in Northern Michigan? Visit the Getting Married Up North group on MyNorth.com’s Commnunity.