Looking to hone in your artistic abilities this summer? Luckily, there are numerous art classes going on throughout the Northern Michigan towns that will help inspire you to create a masterpiece. These Northern Michigan art classes and workshops are offered throughout the summer in towns such as Traverse City and Leland, and even on Mackinac Island. Tickets to select classes and tours available at MyNorthTickets.com.
Artcenter of Traverse City
- Artistic Control of Color in Photography — June 17th, 6 pm: This class will teach you how to build and control the color in your photography allowing you to make clean, elegant, colorful images with new methods.
- Fresh Color and Brushwork — June 23rd, 9 pm: Designed for adults with strong drawing skills and basic color mixing knowledge. This multi-day workshop focuses on painting elements with multiple exercises to improve brushwork and color knowledge.
- Paper Paintings Collage — June 23rd, 9 pm: Students are taught unique figurative collage technique with hand-painted papers. No prior collage experience necessary.
- How to Paint without Guessing — July 15th, 9 am: Each student is given a project to work on along with demo’s each day. Students will learn how to start and finish a painting in a quiet room.
- The Pastel Landscape Simplified — July 23rd, 9 am: This workshop will cover methods and techniques that will help simplify your approach to landscape painting. Each day of the workshop will begin with a demonstration.
- Adding the You Factor to Paintings — August 11th, 9 am: The theme for this workshop is to help you put more personal and creative touches into your paintings. All levels and all mediums welcome.
- Intuitive Painting — August 18th, 9 am: This workshop is designed to encourage students to break the rules and move away from the usual style of paintings. Demos are in the morning and afternoon with plenty of individual instruction and discussion throughout the day.
Get your tickets to classes from Artcenter of Traverse City at MyNorthTickets.com:
Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Summer Dunes Eco-Photo Excursion — July 11th, 9 am: Experience the natural beauty of the world’s largest freshwater sand dunes while you capture inspiring photos of the crystal blue water and sweeping dunes.
- Wildtype Native Plant Nursery Eco-Photo Excursion — August 23rd, 9 am: Capture the botanical treasures of the Wildtype Native Plant Nursery.
Find more from Great Lakes Photo Tours and get your tickets at MyNorthTickets.com:
Old Art Building in Leland
- Outside Drawing Workshop — June 30th, 10 am: Hosted by artist-in-residence Richard Kooyman.
- Matisseathon — July 7th–9th: Three-days of learning about the techniques of Matisse.
- Adventures in Watercolor — July 14th, 10 am: Discover more color in your subjects with the aid of instructor Charles Passarelli.
- Gouache on the Go — Aug. 4th, 10 am: Nomadic in spirit, this class will focus on traveling and working without much baggage.
Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum on Mackinac Island
- Kids Workshop — July 1st, 1 pm: Bring the kids to this free clinic in which kids can paint, draw or color on a canvas to take home.
- Plein Air Painting — July 8th, 6 pm: Learn how to paint plein air on beautiful Mackinac Island.
- Drawing — July 15th, 6:30 pm: Learn drawing techniques from portrait artist Bill Murcko
- Watercolor — July 22nd, 6:30 pm: Basic watercolor techniques are covered, with supplies furnished.