The Traverse City Film Festival will present a slate of free films at the Open Space in downtown Traverse City every evening from Tuesday, July 31 through Sunday, August 5—plus a bonus “test screening” on July 30. Projected onto a 65-foot inflatable screen, the featured films at the Northern Michigan festival include Pixar’s newest animated film, Marvel’s superstar of the year and a nostalgic ’80s staple. So grease the joints on your lawn chairs and fluff out your outdoor blankets: it’s going to be a fun week!
Each screening will begin at dusk (approximately 9:30 p.m.) but will be preceded by live music, entertainment and a large-scale photo booth complete with props and costumes. The featured movies are as follows:
- Stop Making Sense, Monday, July 30: “The best dang concert movie of all time.” Special Monday night public test screening (no concessions) that will have everyone itching to dance.
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Tuesday, July 31: It’s the Jumanji you know and love, reinvented. Expect a night of fun and games at the Open Space.
- 9 to 5, Wednesday, August 1: Dolly Parton, TCFF 2018 Lifetime Achievement Honoree Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin confront sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace in this feminist classic.
- The Greatest Showman, Thursday, August 2: This extravagant musical details the life of the illustrious showman P.T. Barnum. Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and their circus of misfits will sing and dance their way right into your hearts.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Friday, August 3: The People’s Choice movie this year is this beloved teen comedy classic. Matthew Broderick’s antics will have us all calling out: Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
- Black Panther, Saturday, August 4: An epic superhero movie that is so much more. This cinematic celebration of pride and identity will have everyone cheering: Wakanda Forever!
- Coco, Sunday, August 5: Closing out the festival is this vibrant animated film that tells the story of a young aspiring musician who finds himself in the Land of the Dead. Showcasing the importance of culture, passion and la familia, this is one for the whole family.
Click the cover for your FREE insider’s guide to the festival!
For more details on Traverse City Film Festival 2018, visit traversecityfilmfest.org.