To perform a variety of building and grounds maintenance and minor repair, custodial activities, and physical labor activities in the Village. As needed, must also be able to operate power-driven equipment and tools, and to perform related work as required.
Work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Facilities Supervisor and Department of Public Works Superintendent.
Example of Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. They are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and sanitation of Village buildings, grounds, restrooms, and public spaces.
- Assist with event setup within the Village collaborating with DPW staff when applicable.
In addition to the above duties, the following may also be assigned as needed and are dependent upon the level of skill, ability, and expertise of the individual.
- Perform maintenance work for Village properties and structures, including general painting and maintenance.
- Assist in maintaining parks and recreation equipment and facilities.
- Repair and patch streets; install, repair and replace traffic, street and other signs.
- Repair fences and perform concrete work.
- Perform varied landscaping and grounds maintenance work. Pruning of trees/shrubs, planting flowers, irrigation repairs, and lawn maintenance.
- Install and remove flags, holiday and event banners.
- Clean DPW shop area and equipment.
- Expected to interact with the public and coworkers in a courteous and respectful manner and perform duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Possess a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually, keeping a friendly and professional attitude with fellow employees and the public.
- Reasonable knowledge of work methods, practices and procedures involved in a variety of maintenance and repair activities.
- Reasonable knowledge of power-driven equipment and tools.
- Be generally available for weekend and evening hours.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor under all types of weather and other conditions.
- Be able to pass physical and random drug testing.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Safe work and driving practices.
- Physically active with good stamina.
- Good personal hygiene and appearance.
Physical Characteristics of Work
Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, walking, lifting, reaching, hearing, grasping, finger dexterity and repetitive motions are required. Outside work involving frequent standing and walking, includes exposure to cold/snow and heat/rain. Ability to lift moderately heavy weight of at least 50 lbs.
Employee may also be exposed to darkness or poor lighting, dirt/dust, fumes/odors, moving machinery, noise, vibration, visual strain, wetness/humidity, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, traffic hazards, microbiological hazards and bodily injury. The work may also expose the employee to unpleasant social situations, significant work pace pressure and irregular hours.
More jobs at Village of Mackinaw City